Monday, December 04, 2006

And what when love is the only currency you have to make someone do something you want them to? It doesn’t feel right, thrusting it in people’s faces…the words, I mean: “I really love you, you know” …doesn’t make it ok. Doesn’t make it more palatable to be bossed around. Doesn’t make you owner of anybody. So HOW DO YOU GET THEM TO DO WHAT YOU WANT THEM TO DO? I mean when it is really important…not just “Katie, get me a cup of water” “No” “I love you, you know?”…I mean like “Please, come on off the train tracks, the 11.15 is just around the corner” Love is not the word to negotiate with. Love is not to be cheapened like that. But what when it is the only thing that motivates you…and you can’t use it to motivate them? What then? it isn’t the only thing that motivates me. selfishness, competitivity (?), cultural blueprints…all these things motivate me. But it seems that the part that loves is the part that hurts and wants answers to this question. The other parts just get angry or confused or whatever it is they do…when things don’t go their way.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ah finally

Pamela Joy said...

it's true my dear. it's tricky. hm. you know, our love for God is expressed through our obedience to him. maybe its not so different with people sometimes... I don't know. maybe it is so different because we're not got. maybe it's not because we're made in his image.

On a lighter note: I have a good college word for you. "cultural blueprints" can also be called ones "hubris"... you can tuck that away for a rainy day if you like.
And I do hope that rainy day comes soon.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you also remember the huge sacrifices I made for the name of love. :D just kidding.