Tuesday, September 19, 2006

my school duties

-cutting up felt thingies (7th day adventist master production, hundreds of pleasant faced, biblical looking holy abrahams, white sheep, mean snakes, bushels and bronze talents and fiery bushes, mysterious manna and pearly gates, all printed on semi-staticly energized material for visual aid, as well as comedic relief, when two dimensional Mother Mary slips of the donkey onto the floor and Teacher has to bend down and pick her up...again) -writing sponsorship letters with high school kids (out of the six that were supposed to show up today, I got two...i don't remember becoming instantly rebellious and lazy when i made the switch from public school to high school...and there is no way i can punish them anymore, they have graduated from my dominion!) -teaching Sex-Ed to 7th graders (yes, aided by my extensive experience and facility with words, i am helping Maria Eugenia and Rolando with this weekly class...last friday, i got to do the Condom lesson, because the adults had never SEEN one. Maria Eugenia! She has been married 15 years, has a daughter, has had a television for her whole life, and has only ever heard of them mentioned, but never known what they look like or how they are used or anything! So to my eternal amusement, I got the floor for that one. Oh, we all learnt alot that day)

6 comments:

Christiane said...

I think teaching sex-ed is my worst nightmare come true!! you poor thing! at least you don't seem to mind too much :) Somehow though, I think I will eventually have to get over this fear and teach it somewhere along the line in my nursing career overseas :P

Anyway...all the power to ya! :)
Chao

Unknown said...

i like this post because it's normal in a good way. interpret that as you like

Unknown said...

ooh, ooh,ooh! speaking of condoms! in japan, there was this store called condomania(i believe there was more than one, but this one i saw in harajuku area...or shibuya? anyways) and one of the other students pointed it out to me, and for like a minute, i thought it was for condominiums, and couldn't figure out why the student had pointed it out to me...i mean, condominiums aren't that interesting. then i got it. and that's my story...sorry

Unknown said...

my worst nightmare, by the way, is walking in on someone who's using the toilet...it's come true a few times...worst thing ever...except for maybe dying in an airplane crash...can't decide. never actually died in an airplane crash yet, have i? anyways, i need to get off the computer, i'm getting giddy and attention-hog-ish. not a good sign. signe.haha. get it? what we talked about the other day? no? ok. never mind

Pamela Joy said...

haha, imagining you showing THOSE kids how to use a condom is about the funniest thing I can think of. The septimo kids? However do you manage it?! They're not rolling on the ground laughing??

shinbone #4 said...

hahaha - I had to teach sex ed once when I was a tachers aid. To 2 14 year old boys. I think at least that they were more embarrased than me... it's even more awkward when it isn't a big class I think...
funny what you may get called upon to do hey???